4 results found.
andymount Cemetery was opened in 1878, and contains approximately 5,950 monuments, 350 of which are Muslim and 1,250 Jewish. Some burials were also re-interred there from the Christ Church Episcopal Churchyard in Bridgeton
The Glasgow Necropolis was opened in 1832, in response to the creation of the magnificent Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. It was built on land owned by the Merchants’ House which had previously been used as a pleasure garden and arboretum. Although dominated by the earlier monument to John Knox, founder of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland, the cemetery was always designed to be inter-denominational