This burial ground was established by the Calton Incorporation of Weavers in 1787. It is also known as the Calton Weavers’ Cemetery though there are folk of many trades buried there. That year the weavers had gone on strike against the undercutting of their wages by cheap imported textiles. The troops were brought in and six of the strikers were shot dead.
2 results found.
At the turn of the nineteenth century, the Catholic population of Glasgow and its surrounding area grew rapidly with the arrival of many Irish people in search of work. Their numbers swelled in the 1850s with those leaving Ireland in the wake of the potato famine. St Mary’s Calton RC Church was opened to serve […]