St Mungo’s New burial ground was opened in 1832. It adjoined Castle Street on the east and lay between the Royal Infirmary and the Asylum for the Blind. It was designed and executed by James Cleland, superintendant of Public Works for Glasgow Town Council and author of ‘Annals of Glasgow’, a history of the city’s […]
26 results found.
The Town’s Hospital was erected in Clyde Street to act as a work house, old folk’s home, orphanage, asylum and infirmary. A burial ground for inmates was opened next to the Hospital in Dunlop Street, and the first interment took place in 1733.
The town of Hamilton may have been the birthplace of the Quaker movement in the west of Scotland. Lady Mary Hamilton, a member of Hamilton family, attended a meeting of the Society of Friends, for which she was taken to task by the local Presbyterian minister
Of the 49 Glasgow burial grounds, ten no longer exist; the earliest such graveyard is the Blackfriars churchyard, formerly on the High Street.