17 results found.
This burial ground was established by the Calton Incorporation of Weavers in 1787. It is also known as the Calton Weavers’ Cemetery though there are folk of many trades buried there. That year the weavers had gone on strike against the undercutting of their wages by cheap imported textiles. The troops were brought in and six of the strikers were shot dead.
Until 1770, the villagers of Anderston had to travel to Glasgow to worship in the Barony Church or one of the Dissenting churches. One James Monteith was a member of a Dissenting congregation in the the Havannah Church, off High Street and, following a disagreement with the church, he and some friends built their own Relief church in Anderston, the area’s first church.
Known nowadays to locals as the ‘Riddrie Hilton’ or Bar-L, Barlinnie Prison was built in 1880 on farmland to the north east of Glasgow, in an attempt to alleviate prison overcrowding in the city.
When James II and VII fled the country in 1688 and William and Mary came to the throne, many Episcopalian Scottish bishops felt unable to take the oath of allegiance to the couple because James had not actually abdicated as king. These Episcopalian bishops, known as ‘non jurors’ because they would not swear allegiance to […]
There is a happy land, doon Duke Street JailWhere a’ the prisoners stand tied tae a nail.Ham an’ eggs they never see, dirty watter fur yer tea;There they live in misery, God Save the Queen In 1825, Glasgow City and Lanark County decided to build a new prison in the grounds of the old House […]
The town of Hamilton may have been the birthplace of the Quaker movement in the west of Scotland. Lady Mary Hamilton, a member of Hamilton family, attended a meeting of the Society of Friends, for which she was taken to task by the local Presbyterian minister
The Town’s Hospital was erected in Clyde Street to act as a work house, old folk’s home, orphanage, asylum and infirmary. A burial ground for inmates was opened next to the Hospital in Dunlop Street, and the first interment took place in 1733.
All the burial grounds described so far have left some trace behind, whether a burial list, a survey map or a mention in contemporary sources. But Glasgow has its own share of medieval burial grounds which usually come to light when developers move onto a site and discover remains. One ancient burial ground has yet […]
When the Associate Congregation of Anderston left their premises in Cheapside Street in 1828, it moved into a new building in Wellington Street, designed by architect John Baird. Images of the church can be viewed on the Lost Glasgow website. The church had a crypt in which interments were regularly made. The use of intramural […]
A friend once ran an antique shop on the island of Arran. He had an eye for interesting pieces, often picked up at Glasgow auctions, and one day he had on display a Victorian embroidery sampler, found rolled up at the back of a chest of drawers.