Stirlingshire, Strathblane Churchyard and Cemetery MIs

£4.50

MIs for Strathblane churchyard & cemetery, compiled by Milngavie F.H.S.

SKU: N/A Categories: , , ,

Description

Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society are indebted to Milngavie Family History Society for all the work they have done in recording this churchyard & cemetery. The following information has been drawn up by Milngavie FHS.  Some stones in the churchyard are laid flat, as was the custom of the time when they were laid.  Many of these flat stones are covered with turf.  During our survey the turf was carefully peeled back and the stones exposed for recording. The stones were then reinstated as found.

This is the third known attempt to record the stones at Strathblane. The first was in 1886 by John Guthrie Smith and listed in his book “The parish of Strathblane and its inhabitants”.  The second was by John and Sheila Mitchell who surveyed in May1969 and recorded their finds in their book “West Stirlingshire monumental inscriptions pre 1855”. Both of these earlier surveys covered only the churchyard which was smaller than at present. Contents – Churchyard Plan; Cemetery Plan; Surname Index; Memorial Inscriptions–Strathblane Churchyard; Inside Church; Strathblane Cemetery

Compiled by Milngavie Family History Society

Additional information

Weight120 g
Booklet or PDF

Booklet, PDF