Glasgow, St Andrews by the Green MIs

£1.50

Burying Ground Monumental Inscriptions, St Andrew’s by the Green

Contents include Introduction; Plan showing numbering of Transcripts; Inscriptions; Index to transcripts.

edited by J.Scott Fairie

SKU: N/A Categories: , , ,

Description

Burying Ground Monumental Inscriptions, St Andrew’s by the Green

The former church and churchyard is located at corner of Turnbull Street and Greendyke Street, Glasgow. The address is 33 Turnbull St, Glasgow, G1 5RP, Lat 55.8542, -4.2445, National Grid Ref NS 59619 64602.

This is the first Episcopal building built in Scotland since the reformation, the first Church to fit gas lighting and the first to install a pipe organ for public worship, hence the name ‘The Whistlin’ Kirk’. The building was completed in 1757.

Some plots are numbered on the wall, starting from the entrance clockwise to plot [8]. The half of the north and east of the burying ground had been over-built, now re-instated as car parking and open space. Plot numbers continue from number [20] at rear to number 39 at the front gate. From some numbering on stones [21-24] appear to have been re-located from north-east to the south-east corner. Plots are numbered out from the wall including any tablets on the Church wall.

The building now functions as the offices of the West of Scotland Housing Association Ltd.

Contents include Introduction; Plan showing numbering of Transcripts; Inscriptions; Index to transcripts.

Edited by J.Scott Fairie

Additional information

Weight45 g
Booklet and PDF

Booklet, PDF