Argyll, Muckairn, 1841 Census Index

£1.50

Argyll, Muckairn, 1841 Census Index compiled by Edna Stark.

17 pages

3 in stock

SKU: G4001 Categories: , ,

Description

Parish of Muchairn (Parish 529)

Muckairn, formerly known as Kilespickerill, lies on the south shore of Loch Etive, east of the parish of Kilmore & Kilbride, with the village of Taynuilt at its heart.  In 1829 it was separated from the parish of Ardchattan, north of Loch Etive.  Be careful with this parish, however, since the boundaries seem arbitrary – places like Ichrachan, Fanans, Bonaw and Lorn Furnace, which would appear to be suburbs of Taynuilt, are actually in the parish of Kilmore & Kilbride.

In 1841 much of the parish was covered by oakwood which had attracted iron smelters from Cumbria, some of whom settled in the district.  Today Lorn Furnace is an ancient monument, open to visitors.  Since the 1841 census was taken in June, many of the men (charcoal burners) were away from home.

In 1841 the principal estate owner was Campbell of Lochnell, whose estate papers have not survived.  A typed book of MIs in Muckairn churchyard has been compiled by Mr Longbottom and is available in the local library.

Included in the area are the estates of Crunachy, Inverawe, Barguillean, Airds Bay and Muckairn.

There are eight enumeration books for the parish, some very small.  The population in 1841 was 812.

Additional information

Weight95 g