Argyll, North Knapdale, 1841 Census Index

£3.00

Argyll, North Knapdale 1841 Census Index compiled by Edna Stark.

48 pages

5 in stock

SKU: G4015 Categories: , ,

Description

Parish of North Knapdale (Parish 530)

The two Knapdale parishes were originally one; they were separated in 1734.  North Knapdale occupies the north-west side of the area, reaching in the north to the Crinan Canal.  Its length from north to south is some 12 miles, its width under 7.

The Sound of Jura lies to the west, South Knapdale to the east and south.  There has been much emigration from the parish – in circa 1740 to Cape Fear in North Carolina.

In the 1841 census the enumerators comment several times that certain families are about to emigrate.

The landowners were in early days Macneils, Macilvernocks, Mactavishes, Macmillans etc. — later on Campbells and Malcolms of Poltalloch.

Additional information

Weight135 g