Argyll, Kilninver and Kilmelfort – 1841 Census Index

£1.50

Argyll, Kilninver & Kilmelfort parish – 1841 Census Index compiled by Edna Stark.

20 pages

6 in stock

SKU: G4003 Categories: , ,

Description

Parish of Kilninver & Kilmelfort (Parish 524)

Kilninver (the church at the mouth of a river) and Kilmelfort (the church of the rounded bay) lies south of Kilmore & Kilbride which contains the town of Oban.  It is a somewhat hilly, rocky area, formed of old red sandstone, with a rugged coastline and, inland, sheep farms and fishing lochs.

Kilmelfort once contained a gunpowder factory.  When it closed in the 1870s there was a considerable loss of population, which in 1841 was 896 in the combined parish.

The Campbells of Breadalbane were the main estate owners.  The MIs of Kilninver have been transcribed locally by several people.  Sets are in our society library.

N.B. Some of the enumerators did not record the addresses of inhabitants in their area, hence the many blanks in the last column.

Additional information

Weight100 g