Argyll, Glenorchy and Inishail 1841 Census Index

£2.00

Argyll, Glenorchy & Inishail 1841 Census Index compiled by Edna Stark.

36 pages

1 in stock

SKU: G4009 Category:

Description

Parish of Glenorchy & Inishail (Parish 512)

The parish of Glenorchy & Inishail is one of the two in Argyll with no sea coast (except for a very short stretch of Loch Etive at Bonawe).  Originally Glenorchy was called Clachan an disart.  Much of it is mountainous.  The writer of the parish account in the New Statistical Account says that the old population has disappeared – there were very few Downies, McNabs, McNicols, McIntyres or Fletchers, and no McGregors, once the “lords of the soil”.  People had come into the parish from Breadalbane district.

The proprietors of Glenorchy in 1841 were the Campbells of Breadalbane.  The Breadalbane estate papers are in the NRS.  Dalmally Historical Association has recorded the MIs in Dalmally churchyard.  Inishail (or Innishail) takes its name from the island in Loch Awe, but before the 1891 boundary changes the island was actually in Kilchrenan parish.  Be careful when investigating places around the northern end of Loch Awe – the boundaries are most confusing, and it is difficult to know whether an area lies in Muckairn or in Inishail, especially since that area is one of those whose boundaries were altered in 1891 when various anomalies were ironed out.

The Inishail proprietors were various Campbells, including the Duke or Argyll and Campbell of Lochnell.  Lochnell estate papers are missing.

Additional information

Weight120 g