Of the 49 Glasgow burial grounds, ten no longer exist; the earliest such graveyard is the Blackfriars churchyard, formerly on the High Street.
VOLUME 10 ISSUE 8…AUGUST 2020 GWSFHS Notices Because of the Covid-19 lockdown, our public meetings have been suspended, and the Research Centre is closed. When it is safe to resume activities, we will. Keep safe. The Society is in the final stages of preparing the new website for going live and will send out another […]
Maryhill graveyard is all the remains of the original parish church. An overgrown heap of rubble marks the place where the Maryhill Chapel of Ease was erected in 1826, on land granted by Miss Lillias Graham of the Gairbraid Estate, for the local congregation of the Barony Parish of Glasgow.
Eastwood Old Cemetery’s history stretches back to the early 18th century, when the first Eastwood Parish Church was erected around 1725
andymount Cemetery was opened in 1878, and contains approximately 5,950 monuments, 350 of which are Muslim and 1,250 Jewish. Some burials were also re-interred there from the Christ Church Episcopal Churchyard in Bridgeton
The Glasgow Necropolis was opened in 1832, in response to the creation of the magnificent Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. It was built on land owned by the Merchants’ House which had previously been used as a pleasure garden and arboretum. Although dominated by the earlier monument to John Knox, founder of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland, the cemetery was always designed to be inter-denominational
Evidence of a genetically inherited disease in the Armours of the west of Scotland
This is the story of Adam McLeod Walton, born on 6 June 1898 in Bridge of Weir who died on 22 August 1917 at Ypres, Western Belgium. That is the name which appears on his birth certificate, the 1911 census, his military service record and the Commonwealth War Grave Commission site. On the village cenotaph, […]
The jail was in the heart of the city less than 800 metres from the City Chambers. It received its first inmates in 1798 and was in constant use until its closure in 1955. One of eight prisons in and around the city during the period, it held both male and female prisoners until the opening of Barlinnie Prison in 1882, after which it functioned as a women’s prison.
One hundred and twelve years ago the ‘Watson Street Fire’ occurred in Glasgow. A booklet tells the harrowing story of the fire in a model lodging house which resulted in the deaths of thirty nine men and twenty four others seriously injured. More than three hundred men escaped with their lives.