St Mungo’s New burial ground was opened in 1832. It adjoined Castle Street on the east and lay between the Royal Infirmary and the Asylum for the Blind. It was designed and executed by James Cleland, superintendant of Public Works for Glasgow Town Council and author of ‘Annals of Glasgow’, a history of the city’s […]
When the Associate Congregation of Anderston left their premises in Cheapside Street in 1828, it moved into a new building in Wellington Street, designed by architect John Baird. Images of the church can be viewed on the Lost Glasgow website. The church had a crypt in which interments were regularly made. The use of intramural […]
Until 1770, the villagers of Anderston had to travel to Glasgow to worship in the Barony Church or one of the Dissenting churches. One James Monteith was a member of a Dissenting congregation in the the Havannah Church, off High Street and, following a disagreement with the church, he and some friends built their own Relief church in Anderston, the area’s first church.
The Town’s Hospital was erected in Clyde Street to act as a work house, old folk’s home, orphanage, asylum and infirmary. A burial ground for inmates was opened next to the Hospital in Dunlop Street, and the first interment took place in 1733.
The town of Hamilton may have been the birthplace of the Quaker movement in the west of Scotland. Lady Mary Hamilton, a member of Hamilton family, attended a meeting of the Society of Friends, for which she was taken to task by the local Presbyterian minister
Of the 49 Glasgow burial grounds, ten no longer exist; the earliest such graveyard is the Blackfriars churchyard, formerly on the High Street.
Maryhill graveyard is all the remains of the original parish church. An overgrown heap of rubble marks the place where the Maryhill Chapel of Ease was erected in 1826, on land granted by Miss Lillias Graham of the Gairbraid Estate, for the local congregation of the Barony Parish of Glasgow.
Eastwood Old Cemetery’s history stretches back to the early 18th century, when the first Eastwood Parish Church was erected around 1725
andymount Cemetery was opened in 1878, and contains approximately 5,950 monuments, 350 of which are Muslim and 1,250 Jewish. Some burials were also re-interred there from the Christ Church Episcopal Churchyard in Bridgeton
The Glasgow Necropolis was opened in 1832, in response to the creation of the magnificent Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. It was built on land owned by the Merchants’ House which had previously been used as a pleasure garden and arboretum. Although dominated by the earlier monument to John Knox, founder of the Presbyterian Church in Scotland, the cemetery was always designed to be inter-denominational