Eastwood Old Cemetery’s history stretches back to the early 18th century, when the first Eastwood Parish Church was erected around 1725. It is accessed though a double gated entrance on Thornliebank Road. The surrounding ground was used as the parish churchyard until 1781, when the original church was replaced by a new and larger place of worship at Auldhouse.
The cemetery grew up around the former church, and the 18th-century mausoleum of the Maxwell family stands on its site. Several other early memorials survive, including the headstone of Robert Woodrow, minister of Eastwood Church, who died in 1794. Designed in the Egypto-Greek style, it was probably the work of one of Glasgow’s finest architects, Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson, and carved by John Mossman of the celebrated local family of monumental sculptors.
A small drinking fountain commemorates Alexander Crum, an eminent scientist and industrialist whose family set up a calico printworks in Thornliebank and was responsible for stimulating the development of the area.
The cemetery also contains 26 scattered burials from WW1 and 6 from WW2, including a soldier from the Canadian Infantry.
More information on the Commonwealth War Graves website